Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 19 - Athens

4:15 comes fast in the morning.  Especially when you don't get to sleep until 12:00 or so.  I honestly hate waking up that early.  For some reason it just throws me off completely for the next half day or so.  I guess my body is so used to getting a somewhat normal amount of sleep.  It probably sounds like I am whining, and I may be just a little, but it's so freaking early.  


By 4:45 we were off to the airport.  What a process this easyJet airline is!  First we had to check in.  Then we had to go drop our bags.  Then we had to go to another window and pay for the bags we dropped off (15 Euro each).  Then we went back over to the original counter to pick up our boarding passes.  Such a run-around.  I am not sure why they do it that way, but whatever.  


9:50am or so... We arrive in to Athens and find Blake waiting on us right outside customs.  Real quick, for those of you that don't know Blake - He is our extremely fun, random, super cool, ADD (way more than me) friend.  We were in the same class at Baylor, and he is one of mine and Josh's best friends.  I lived with him for our last semester - yes, I was a 5th year, no big deal.  So, with our new travel friend in tow, we headed out to find the only thing we really cared to see in the city - The Parthenon.  


Friends and family of all 3 of us told us that really we should focus more on the islands and just see the Parthenon and be done with Athens.  So, that's exactly what we did today.  Before we headed up, though, we had to plan the rest of Greece.  To make a long story short, we found a random local travel agent named Marios.  Not a mis-spelling.  It's Mario with an S.  Anyway, Marios (who was quite the Greek character I might add) hooked us up with a 3 island tour over the next 4 days.  With hotels, boat rides, trams, etc we are doing the whole thing for around 150 Euro a piece.  This is pretty good considering we have hotels on the beach and all the transportation taken care of.  We will see how the hotels turn out, but right now I am actually writing from the boat on the way to Santorini and so far so good.


Our schedule over the next few days will take us through Santorini, Nexos, and Paros.  Should be a good time.  I am most excited about Santorini.  From what I hear, it's absolutley amazing.  


Sorry... I almost forgot.  We saw the Parthenon, and it was awesome.  Totally surreal to actually be in such a famous place high above the city. That's about it for now.  We are going to be sleeping overnight, and then arriving in to Santorini in the morning around 8am.  It's an 11 hour trip.  Dinner tonight is PB and bread.  We might get crazy and mix in some Nutella, who knows!  

No comments: