Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 11 - Berlin

Today was the last full day we are to have had in Berlin...  You know, sometimes I don't know what tense to write these things because I can be writing a day later, but I still want to act like it happened that day.  Anyway, if my tenses are messed up, that's why.  Alrighty.  Now that we have squared that away.  Last full day in Berlin... it started off much like the other days.  It was pretty chill for the most part, but we did wake up fairly early.  Stephanie was watching their friends little boy for the morning, so we woke up on the couches pretty early.  Don't think I am upset about it though.  Sleeping in is a luxury when backpacking, and we had already done that enough.

For breakfast we made some great stuff.  Steph brought home potatoes, eggs, bread for toast, and bacon.  I helped her in the kitchen (one of my passions), and we made a pretty tasty little breakfast.  Hash browns, cheesy eggs with fresh tomato, bacon, and toast with apricot jelly was on the menu.  Everyone enjoyed it, and the 2 vegetarians (Josh and Stephanie) enjoyed the meal without the bacon.  You know, as a quick side note... I am really impressed with the whole veg lifestyle.  I will definitely not be participating any time soon, but it is really impressive.

After breakfast we headed down the the post office to grab my computer.  Luckily we didn't read the slip that was left at the door, which mentioned that the post office is closed at noon on wednesdays.  We had already been heading that way for about 30min (it's an hour each way), so needless to say, we were all a little frustrated... So, what do you do with that frustration?  Eat gelato!  We went to Stephanie's favorite place in Berlin and grabbed some fresh gelato to calm our nerves.

After the wild goose chase and gelato we headed back to get ready for the Germany v. Turkey game.  The fact that Berlin is the largest city in Germany, paired with the fact that Berlin also houses the largest Turkish population outside of Turkey in the world, made this a really big event.  We attended of course.  Not the game.  We went to this huge gathering where thousands of people were watching on multiple projector screens.  It was a crazy scene.  I mean, it gives me chills just thinking about it.  It's what I am all about.  I love the sport and the competition so much... so it was great to be there for the game.

Germany won 3-2!  It was a great game.  They scored at the last minute to win, and everybody went insane.  It really was a perfect ending to the game.  After we left the streets were crazy.  Flares, singing, shaking cars in the street, etc.  Absolutely nuts!  I will post video soon, but I actually got on top of a car with some other random German guy in the middle of this crowd of thousands.  It was intense.  Like I said, I will post video when I can figure out this stupid camera.  Dinner was late night pizza for me and falafel for Josh.  After staying up and telling Stephanie how much we were going to miss her and her we got to bed.  I think it was after 3, but I am not certain... Overall, a great last day in Berlin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/23/19-travelling/

and also

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/27/32-veganvegetarianism/