Friday, June 20, 2008

Day 6 - Amsterdam

As this day draws to a close, I am sitting here at a computer terminal at our Hostel. Last night we stayed at Lucky Lake Hostel. Tonight is Meetingpoint Youth Hostel. Two very different worlds to say the least. This place is located right in the center of the craziest part of the city, and I guess you could say it has a little bit different smell... and by different smell I mean it smells like I am locked in a car with Cheech and Chong. It's crazy how much people smoke here, but more on that in a bit.

So, I started the day off actually getting some sleep. I probably slept 12 hours actually. So, I my system is stay awake 48 hours, and then sleep 12. It's working ok, but I would really appreciate a normal sleeping schedule, so I am crossing my fingers that tonight I break the trend and just get a normal night. Ok, so woke up around 10, left the hostel by 11:30 after a surprisingly hot and fairly clean shower. We headed back over to the metro, then came to Meetingpoint to check in and stow our stuff for the day. Next was the tram to the museum area... that process only took abot 2 hours. 30 minutes to find out where we were supposed to freaking go, 1 hour more taking the completely wrong tram, and then another 30 to finally get there. All I have to say, is it wasn't our fault. You can blame the horrible visitor center guide for that. She was nice, but not very helpful to visitors... which is her job... anyway...

We got to the Vincent Van Gough and payed 10 Euro to get in and another 4 Euro for the audio headphone tour (Right now the Euro is about 1.6 to 1 US Dollar) At first I was a little anoyed that I was paying another 4, but it turns out that it was a great decision (which I credit Josh with). I really enjoyed my time there, and it was so cool to be able to see up close how many amazing works Van Gough did in such a short time. For those of you that aren't familiar (like me only a few hours ago), he did the bulk of his artwork for 10 years or so and he did over 800 paintings, plus tons of writings. Huge bad ass. Huge bad ass who killed himself in his mid thirties, but nontheless... Anyway, it was a great exprience, and by far the most history I have taken in while here.

I guess I forgot to put this post in order, as I forgot lunch. Lunch was grocery store food. Ham and Cheese sando, apples, doritos (which I am finishing right now actually), and twix for me... I know very american. Josh opted for pesto pasta, cheese and crackers, and a couple plums.

After the Museum it was pretty much wandering. We walked all the way back, so I bet we got a good hour and a half walk in on the way back. I need to lose a few, so sometimes public transport isn't going to happen. Need to keep active. Anyway, tonight we ventured over to the Red Light District which was completely sureal. We were the a couple of minutes and that's all it took to get the idea. This place is like Vegas on crack. It's really insane. No worries parents and people who care... I am sticking to my values.

Ok, so for dinner Doritos for both of us. I think Josh may have had some cheese and crackers. Hopefully I will be able to write about some great restaurants soon. Alright, 3 minutes until I get kicked off. Until next time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This blog is awesome. It sounds like you are having a blast. Thanks for hanging out long enough for the wedding and the bachelor party. It meant alot to me. Have a great time! I'll be following your adventures on the blog. Thanks again.

Jeff said...

Hey, Harms- I love your blog. I'm a daily reader.

matt said...

Rhino,

Great blog buddy. I read it pretty much everyday. It's like watching "Big Brother", but without Julie Chen. I hope you guys continue to have a blast.

Thanks Julie!!!

-Kessner