Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 4 - London

Great news... at least for me - I finally was able to sleep longer than 4 hours!  So, now that I am caught up on sleep, everything should feel a little more normal.  Alright, so what I did today... well the day started of course at the bagel shop again.  I know I have eaten there a bunch, but it's super cheap and in London that is extremely rare.   For example, my breakfast the other day with gratuity was 8.5 pounds, which is $16 and change US.  This morning, I had a apple pastry and Josh had something similar and it was 80 pence total, which is about $1.50.  So, bagel shop, then to the Underground to head towards an area called SOHO. 

The main reason we are in Europe is just because we want to see new places and take a "holiday" to travel.  There are other small things, though, that we want to accomplish here and one of those is checking out some coffee shops in Europe.  I mentioned before that Josh, David and I are going to be opening a coffee shop.  We are going to be opening it up at the end of the year, and have already done a good portion of the leg work (business plan, established relationships with vendors, etc).  Once Josh and I get back, David will be about a week from getting married.  After that, it's going to be full speed ahead opening up the shop.  So, all that to say... while we are here we want to see some coffee shops and get a feel for what they are like in this part of the world.  I know I keep saying this, but I will be posting pictures just as soon as I can get my camera hooked up and working... and these pictures will include some coffee shops.

Alright, so in SOHO we found a few really great places.  While in the city, all I have mostly seen is your basic chain type places and of course Starbucks.  Most of them are overpriced, and none of them really serve a great cup of coffee - unless you think Starbucks is great coffee...  Anyway, today, was quite the opposite.  We found some really great places with really great coffee.  We went to 3 places total.  First, before we got to SOHO we stopped at a place called Scooterworks.  Aparantly this place was created by someone who loves Vespas and really scooters of all kinds.  It was alright, but definately not the best.  Pretty interesting place actually... the walls look like one big scooter ad.  Next, was a trip to what had the best atmosphere.  Sacred Cafe (www.sacredcafe.co.uk) is owned by a couple Kiwis (New Zealanders) and the place definitely has that feel.  The place has two floors and a great patio area outside the front doors.  We were able to chat with the owner for a little while and talk about coffee for a little bit.  This place was awesome, though, and I would recommend it to you next time you are in London.  It's worth the trip from wherever you are.  The third place we went had, in my opinion, the best coffee for sure.  It's a place called Flat White (www.flat-white.co.uk)  This place is also owned by a couple of Kiwis.  They actually own 2 different shops in SOHO.  It's a great place, with great espresso, and once again, extremely friendly owners.  Check out the website if you have some time.  It is such a great place.

Alright, I will make the rest quick since I just rambled on about coffee.  We grabbed a bite at a local British restaurant.  I had one of the best Cheeseburgers I have ever had, and Josh had some pretty rockin' Brocolli Bleu Cheese Soup.  Water to drink of course.  Don't think I have mentioned this, but I am going to try my best to not drink any soft drinks while I am here.  Finished the night watching Euro '08 in a bar close to the house, and then headed home... well to Nick's home, which is where I am right now.  I am going to bed early tonight because we have to be up around 3am to catch our plane to Amsterdam.  My next post will be from there...

No comments: